At HOSTPLUS we’re run to benefit our members, which means we’re committed to acting in your best interests at all times. We’re also committed to making life as easy as possible for you. And because we’re a super fund, there is a certain amount of personal information we need to collect from you in order to provide you with the services and support you need.
We often say that in the superannuation business we sell trust. The nature of our product means our members need to trust us to look after their money for many years, decades in fact. And your personal information is no different.
This policy briefly explains the main ways we protect your privacy, the reasons why we collect your personal information, and how we comply with the Australian Privacy Principles.
So why does HOSTPLUS collect your personal and information?
In many cases, the law requires us to collect your personal information, for example, in order to identify you. It also allows us to set up your super account, to keep it running smoothly and to respond to any queries or requests you may have regarding your account. These might include:
- implementing your investment choices,
- establishing and maintaining your additional insurance protection,
- processing super contributions,
- transferring monies or paying benefits,
- reporting the investment performance of your account to you, and
- keeping you up to date on other products and services available to you as a HOSTPLUS member (which may include sending you some marketing communications).
Certain information such as your Tax File Number (TFN) is required for taxation and superannuation purposes and is authorised to be collected under the Superannuation Industry (Supervision) Act 1993. Your TFN also allows us to look for other super accounts you may have lost track of or super money that has been transferred to the Australian Taxation Office (ATO).
So that we can better tailor our information and products to your needs, we also use technology known as “cookies” to collect statistical information on website activity, such as the number of people using our website and how they navigate through it.
At times we may need to collect sensitive information from you such as medical information and family relationship details in order to process insurance applications and benefit claims. This information is used by HOSTPLUS and our insurer to assess your eligibility for an insured benefit. We will always seek your express consent before we collect any sensitive information from you, and we will ensure that the collection of this information is absolutely necessary.
What personal information do we ask for?
We collect information that’s relevant to our relationship with you, as your super fund. This includes:
- Date of birth
- Tax File Number (TFN)
- Insurance cover
- Australian Business Number
- Phone number
- Financial details
- Email address
- Bank details
- Working hours
- Investment choice
- Membership of other funds
We may also need to ask you for sensitive information including:
- Medical information
- Affiliations with industry groups
- Family and/or personal relationship details
How do we collect and hold your personal information?
Where possible, we will collect information from you directly. This may be done through the following channels:
- Via membership and insurance forms.
- Over the phone via the HOSTPLUS contact centre.
- As part of an insurance claim process or a request for access to your superannuation benefits.
- Via our Account Managers.
- Through our online portals when you update your details.
- Via Industry Fund Services financial planners.
If you are an employer-sponsored member we will also collect information from your employer when they make a superannuation contribution on your behalf.
As mentioned above, we also use technology such as google analytics and cookies to collect information about your visit to the HOSTPLUS website and/or our online portals. This information includes the time and date of your visit, your server address, the type of browser, domain name, pages visited, documents downloaded and length of visit. It’s important to note that this technology only identifies your computer when you visit our website, it does not identify you. See
Once collected, your personal information is stored securely on a database maintained by our fund administrator, Superpartners. We may also hold your personal information in hard copy format if you provide it for purposes including, but not limited to, insurance and benefit claims and complaints. See Do we disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
Who do we share your personal information with?
We may need to disclose relevant personal information to external organisations that help us provide services. We limit the information provided to these organisations to what they need to perform their services for us or to provide products or services to you. These organisations are also bound by strict confidentiality arrangements.
- Superpartners Pty Ltd – the Fund’s administrator responsible for the administration of your account, including insurance cover. Superpartners manage the database where your personal information is stored.
- Third party vendors – used by Superpartners, such as information technology, credit control, printing and mailing vendors.
- Metlife Insurance Limited – our insurer responsible for administering your insurance arrangements and processing any claims.
- Medical practitioners and other relevant professionals – for assessing increased insurance applications and/or during the claims process for insurance benefits.
- Mail houses – that provide you with correspondence about your HOSTPLUS account as well as keeping you up to date on other products and services available to you as a HOSTPLUS member.
- Other superannuation funds – when your benefits are transferred or rolled over.
- Regulatory bodies – such as the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC), Australian Transaction Reports and Analysis Centre (AUSTRAC) and the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) to the extent required by law.
- Your representative/s – either your legal representatives after your death to enable the processing of a death claim, or your other nominated agent or representative (including professional adviser) as authorised by you.
- Your spouse or former spouse – to the extent required by law.
- Marketing and market research agencies – organisations which provide marketing and communications services to HOSTPLUS.
- Industry Fund Services Ltd – our dedicated financial planners who may need to access your information to provide tailored personal advice.
- ME Bank – our fairer banking partner who may from time to time contact you with exclusive discount offers available to HOSTPLUS members.
- Hardwire – our creative agency for marketing purposes and maintaining online tools.
- Auditors – for the purpose of auditing the fund's compliance with processes and policies.
Do we disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
Your personal information may also be stored on servers based in the United States of America and disclosed to auditors based in the Philippines.
We may also need to disclose your personal information to overseas recipients in New Zealand and the United Kingdom if you make a request for the rollover out or in of your superannuation or pension benefits held in these countries.
Need to get in touch with us?
Simply contact us via the details below and we’d be happy to help with:
- Finding out more. If you’d like further information about privacy at HOSTPLUS, just let us know.
- Accessing or updating your personal information. We’ll provide you with a copy of your requested information or update your details as soon as possible. In the rare event that we’re unable to provide you with access to or update your personal information, we’ll write to you to let you know why.
- Providing feedback or making a complaint. We’ll make sure that someone from HOSTPLUS responds to you within 30 days. If you're still not satisfied with our response, you can then either contact the Financial Ombudsman Service or the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner.
- Opting-out. Please contact us at any time if you no longer wish to receive direct marketing material.
Call us on 1300 HOSTPLUS (1300 467 875) or 1300 348 546 for pension members
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or email@example.com
Write to us at Reply Paid 84069, Carlton South VIC 3053.